Yesterday morning I had gone to work, and Matthew took Daisy over to my parents' house for the day. I received a call from Matt before 9am saying he had bad news... Dad had opened the gate, and Daisy ran by so fast he couldn't catch her. She shot out into the street and was hit by a car. Daisy was rushed to the hospital, but she died on the X-ray table. The vet said that the nerves were damaged by the impact, so she didn't feel anything. I left work as soon as I heard that she passed. I cried pretty much all day. Matthew and I were both devastated by the news. We picked her up from the vet and met Mom, Dad, Isaac, Ruth, John Michael, Aaron, and Nanny at the farm. We dug a grave in a little clearing where past pets have gone, said a prayer, and buried her.
Daisy meant so much to me. She was always there. For those of you who know me, I do not like to be alone very often. Yes, reading is usually a solitary activity... but I prefer to have someone in the same house as me while I'm reading. Daisy was my first baby. She gave me so much love, and was always there to comfort me when I needed it. Even just having her lay on the floor while I cleaned the bathroom kept away the loneliness while Matthew worked. She was a constant in my life.
I keep thinking about things I was never able to do with Daisy. I was looking forward to taking her out on the boat with Bessie to see if she liked to swim. I never painted her toenails, because I was trying to figure out a way to keep her still long enough for them to dry. I was already planning ways to train her to be gentle with a new baby, whenever that time came. I dreamed of all the family portraits we could have, and Matthew and I even talked a few times about her next Halloween costume. Daisy was 15 days away from her 1 year birthday. It hurts so much that I won't have more time with her on this earth, but I'm grateful for the knowledge that Matthew and I will see her again someday.
No dog will ever replace Daisy as my first baby, the first dog that was mine, and the first dog Matthew and I had as a married couple. She was very much loved, and we will never forget her.
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment