Well it seems that I've missed a whole month. That's very disappointing. I would think about it, then find something else to do. Let's see if I can remember everything that went on!
We finally finished our kitchen cabinets! It took a while, but with Mom's help (she really did most of it because of Matthew's and my work schedule) we were able to finish them. Whew. I think it looks so much cleaner and brighter. I love it. See below for before and after pictures. The kitchen (now) is a bit messy, but you can deal :)
April 16th Jessica Driggers and I held a bridal shower for Carrie Driggers at my house! We planned on it forever, and it turned out wonderfully. I had to clean the entire house in a week because we only just put the kitchen cabinet doors back on! Mom even came over to help me shampoo the carpets. I had to clean every evening after work in order to get it in order. It was all worth it though. Our decorations were so cute, and the food even went with the earthy decor. I think Carrie had a nice time.
April 23rd Matthew and I went with Mom, Dad, Isaac, Ruth, Aaron, Lauren, and Lauren's dad Joe to the open house of the Atlanta Temple (they just finished renovating it) . It was a lot of fun riding there because Joe brought a travel sized Connect Four game, and we had a tournament. I think Aaron won, but I came in third and Matt in second. Once we got there, it was so nice to walk through the temple and feel the Spirit. Dad pointed out the room that they were sealed in, which was cool. Another reason that I liked the experience as a whole is because we were able to spend time with family. Matt has a busy work and school schedule, so it is very rare that we get to spend a whole day together besides Sunday. And that's what temples are all about... Forever Families. I have to keep reminding myself that though we may not be able to have all the time that I wish we did, we will always have eternity. I don't think I'll have to wait that long, though. Matt should be done with school in only a few years!
April 27 there were several severe tornados that came through north Alabama and took out a lot of homes and buildings. It also knocked out one of the main power plants for most of Madison County... I think. It hit Tuscaloosa pretty badly as well. We had no power from Wednesday evening to Sunday evening. Matt only had to work a few hours because the city put a curfew out (dusk till dawn) while the power was out. I didn't have to work, so it was kind of like a mini vacation. We were able to spend a lot of time with the family, grilling out each night and having fun activities. One day we went bike riding, putting all the bikes in the back of Matt's truck and rode the Greenway. Because of all the rain, there was a spot on the path that sunk below the water level, almost to my hips standing up! When Dad would run the generator to keep the freezer and fridge cold, we would plug up our cell phones and other electronics to keep them going.
Though my family was able to come together and make something good of the storms, I cannot believe how the families that lost their homes and loved ones must feel, and how they are coping. Alabama was able to pull together and volunteer and help out ever so much. Matthew was talking to a FEMA rep, and she said that they had to double the amount of people manning the phones they usually have because so many people were calling in just asking where they can volunteer. Churches were cooking meals and offering showers to people. I'm so grateful I've never had to go through that, but I know that if I did, I would have family, friends, and community that would help me through it.
Daisy's hair(fur) is growing out, which means she is looking more like a Westie! She is so cute. I gave her a bath the other day, and put a bow on her... and she is just so adorable. I love her :)
Yesterday we took a day trip down to Tuscaloosa to surprise Matt's mom for Mother's Day. I think she was very happy to see us. It was nice to chill with Matthew's family and relax. Dad was able to conference call us in when Josh called from Mexico. I miss him so much! He sounds like he is having a great time down there, though, and I can tell he is loving it.
I THINK those are the main highlights. If I forgot something, I will post it later. There has been so much going on! Life has been going by so quickly. Sometimes I'm glad, because that means it is closer to the time when Matt is done with school, but other times I feel like it's all just flying by and I haven't been able to relish it. Give and take, I guess. I just need to try and enjoy each moment as it comes.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

the before and after pictures of your kitchen are amazing. it looks great!!
ReplyDelete